I am a reformed “car-holic.” I used to give my money, time and energy away freely. All of this happened during the most critical period of each day: my commute to work in my car. Driving alone (single occupancy) in my car, I would burn fuel, wear out my brakes, create tension and waste my time in traffic.
Then I began working at MARTA. Riding MARTA opened an entire new way of life for me. I start and end my day in peace as I listen to music, read books, play brain games and catch up on my emails. Decreasing my costs of car maintenance, fuel and insurance doesn’t hurt either. Being a MARTA employee has enabled me to work with metro Atlanta companies and commuters to provide this same serenity by offering transit benefits as a part of their compensation benefits package.
The personal benefits of riding MARTA to work far outweigh those of sitting in traffic. To name just a few:
- More Money for Things I Love: I get to use the money saved for travel, a night out with friends or shopping.
- Harmonious Work and Personal Relationships: Because I get to read and relax on MARTA I arrive to work and home in a more positive mood.
- Melting the Pounds Away: Using transit contributes to my workout plan. Walking to and from my car and in the stations actually adds a mile of activity to my daily exercise.
- Productive at Work: Because I don’t waste emotional energy dealing with the tension of driving, I arrive mentally clear.
- More Informed and Intelligent: While commuting I get to catch up on news, reading, social media and the latest music. It also gives me time to organize my day.
- Get Caffeine and Find New Eateries: I have found some great coffee spots to get a quick “cup of joe,” lunch or dinner right on the MARTA line. I have become the dining advisor for friends.
Companies love offering their employees transit benefits too. Some of these benefits include:
- Recruitment/Retention Tool: MARTA as part of a compensation package is appealing to new hires and assists in retaining top talent.
- Parking Lot Cost Reduction: More employees taking transit means less driving and parking, which saves on spaces and maintenance.
- Health and Wellness Program Inclusion: Studies show commuting on transit contributes to increased physical activity.
- More Money, More Money, More Money! Most companies contributing toward the cost of employee passes are eligible for a federal and state business tax deduction.
As the saying goes, “There is light at the end of the tunnel,” and it’s a MARTA train ready to start your commute and change your life.
Tanya is marketing lead for MARTA’s Partnership Program assisting metro Atlanta companies with transit commuting solutions. She is a 14-year MARTA rider and advocate. To learn how your company can offer MARTA passes, visit: itsmarta.com/employer.
It’s 2015. You’ve probably already noted that we’re living in the year Marty and Doc jumped forward to in the second Back to the Future film. But Marty and Doc’s 2015 was packed with hover boards and flying cars, and our 2015…isn’t.
Rumor has it, flying cars are going to rolling off the assembly lines very, very soon. So soon, in fact, that it’s time to be proactive. If you can share the ride on the road, you can share it in the sky — start planning your flying carpool now.
Photo credit: Universal Pictures, Amblin Entertainment
What are the best ways to fly a friendly carpool? Read on.
Be a courteous flyer. Just because you’re in the air doesn't mean you shouldn't use your turn signal. Also, don’t tailgate, and don’t be too horn-happy. Let’s drive the friendly skies.
Be punctual. Your car may fly now — but so does time. Plan your morning so you have plenty of time to pick up your carpoolers. No one likes to be late to work, whether by land or by air.
Make your (flying) carpooling serve one purpose. It may be tempting to make bunch of pit stops — especially now that you can fly over treetops to pick up your dry cleaning. But your carpool buddies likely just want to touch down at work or home; don’t drag them along on your errands.
Log your (flying) commute to win prizes! If you’re sharing the ride — whether it’s on the road or in the air — you can win cash and prizes from Georgia Commute Options! So log those flying carpool rides and watch the rewards fly in. Get started here.
Now that flying cars are on the horizon, our commutes are going to look a lot different. But sharing the ride never stops making sense! Start your flying carpool today.
[Editor’s note: April Fool’s. If flying cars are your thing, looks like you’ll be waiting a bit longer. You’ll have to earn those Georgia Commute Options prizes on the plain old road!]