Carpooling and Vanpooling during COVID-19
Here are some tips for staying healthy if you take a shared commute, such as a carpool or vanpool, to work or as a part of your job.
- Reduce the size of your carpool to leave more space between seats
- Sit as far away from other riders as possible
- Limit use of smaller vehicles that don’t allow for additional distance between passengers
- Practice social distancing when entering and exiting the vehicle
- Avoid touching surfaces, if possible. If you do need to touch a surface, use hand sanitizer immediately after
- Ensure all carpoolers wear a mask while commuting
- Try to carpool with the same people consistently so that you don’t introduce new riders (and potentially new germs) into the shared ride
- If possible, open the windows during the ride to improve ventilation
- Turn air conditioning off of re-circulation mode to improve ventilation
- Allow priority parking for carpools and vanpools
- If individuals are interested in a shared commute, encourage coworker-only carpools or vanpools to reduce the potential for unnecessary interactions with outside households
Find a Carpool Partner
We can match you with more than 20,000 potential carpoolers interested in sharing the ride.
ACT Guide for Commuters and Employers
Check out the Association for Commuter Transportation’s (ACT) guide for supporting commuters and employers as they return to the workplace.